Thursday 13 April 2017

Teenagers

Shiraz will be turning 4 years old in a few weeks. In my past experiences with horse training, 4 can be a bit interesting for some horses. Many horses sail through this stage in their growth without any hickups, but some...well, let's just say it can be very much akin to the struggles some teenagers may go through.


Shiraz came to my farm as a 6-month-old. She was sweet, brave and super laid back. Right from day one she led, tied, good for the farrier and happy to try anything. Year one and two were similar and she was such a treat to start training under saddle last year. She really did not feel ready physically though as she was still growing so much and so she got the winter off to continue filling out.

Enter this new, teenage version of Shiraz.


I saw it lately with her behavior in pasture. All along she has been happy to be on bottom of the pecking order, yet now she is pushing things and even throwing a very distant back hoof in the direction of her bossy herd mates.


She is testing waters and pushing boundaries in all directions. She tries to lean on the farrier. She suddenly wants to snort and spook at all the world she once thought was no big deal. She even has thrown a half-hearted "I'm gonna bite you" at me when I practice mounting lately.

Oh hell no.

It is awesome she is coming into her own and feeling out her place in this world, ya I get that.

But. Manners have to be in place and so ground work boot camp is now under way. I'll be fair and patient, but I certainly want to see a "Yes, Ma'am!" in her eye before we get back to saddle work.

I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting summer with this girl.

Have you ever worked with a young horse that suddenly decided to test the boundaries? Do you have any go-to exercises for instilling the leadership? I'd love to hear suggestions!

10 comments:

  1. I have always had green horses so yes, I have lived the 4/5 year old 'you're not the boss of me' stage. I find it's just being clear and not letting them get away with pushing me around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had green horses too, but I think Savvy and Shiraz will be my last 'trained from scratch' ponies. I hope some day I can call them the old school masters. :)

      Delete
  2. Omg I think ages 4 and 6 are the hardest. Somehow 5 seems like a mild and moderate year in between tho, just to lull you into a false sense of security. Good luck lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I am feeling right now like her first three years of life were lulling me into that false sense of security. I actually bought a dragon.

      Delete
  3. Both Henry and Mystic went through different version of this phase hahaha I feel your pain. My coach told me that warmbloods go through it again when they are five... yay... :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well it sounds like Henry and Mystic both moved out of this phase nicely. I don't mind attitude, but I'm really not a fan of the reactive spookiness!

      Delete
  4. Ha! My mare's 4 yo year lol. Such memories. I am waiting to see how her colt is during this 4 yo year. He just turned 4, so we will see.
    Just be consistent with what you have done and build on that. Expect what you have always expected and ask for more a little at a time. It is just a phase, they grow out of it if you do not let them run you over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that - 'expect what you have always expected'. I have been experimenting with the concept of perception and how it affects outcome when I am training. This is an excellent starting thought for a training session.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know some people who give them another season off when they are like this. They bring them back up without problems. Just for your pot of thoughts if it gets there.

      Delete